What we lose with progress (7 March 2022)
(See also Weekly Links #54: the big GUI rant.)
In some ways, we surpassed “reality” as the most efficient user interface in the 1990s. Physical embodiment in a VR world is not necessary to write a paper, order a pizza, play music, or share a photo of a cat. There are probably tens of thousands of tasks that can be done more efficiently with a 2D computer interface than with 3D simulated world. There are exceptions of course, but those exceptions still form a niche. — Remembering VRML: The Metaverse of 1995 (December 2021)
Small, scoped areas within a graphical interface that allow users to read and write simple programmes
Tools and round-ups
- Animation Resources: A list of books, lessons, podcasts, tools and more.
- Open Font Library: Just what is says on the tin; open source fonts, and other typography resources.
- Open Game Art: Free, legal art for open source game projects.
- Pixel Joint: Large forum, gallery and link directory dedicated to pixel art and related topics.
- Polycount: Old, large forum with a wiki attached, dedicated to 3D graphics.
2D art tutorials