Game development wikis
- DmWiki DevMaster.net wiki – everything game development
- FreeGameDevWiki A growing resource about free/open source game development
- Game Programming Wiki Constantly improving resource on everything game development
Specialized gaming wikis
- Interactive fiction wiki — exactly what it says on the tin.
- RogueBasin, “The Roguelike information resource that you can edit.”
- Libre Game wiki: The encyclopedia of free/open source games.
- Procedural Content Generation Wiki Games that use it, how to do it, and more
- Programming Games Wiki, i.e. a wiki about those games that are played by writing programs to compete against each other.
Game programming tutorials
- The NeHe OpenGL tutorials; example code is C++ for Windows, but is easy to adapt.
- Jerome Jouvie has a series of OpenGL tutorials for Java, and related software.
- Ray-Casting Tutorial For Game Development using HTML5.
- Moosader Tutorials — a video series for beginning programmers and/or game developers;Love2D, Allegro, SDL, C++ and a big FAQ.
2D art tutorials
- Creating Pixel Art, an excellent tutorial on the Pixel Joint Forum.
- 2D Game Art For Programmers – Part 1 — how to make vector art with free/open source tools and little skill.
- Les Forges Pixel Art Course: another, friendlier pixel art tutorial in several parts.
- Game Design Depository, an impressive collection of quotes and links about the eponymous topic.
- Game Programming Resources Wiki — huge list of Python game development resources.
- Music Theory for Beginners: the start of a very good series that teaches the basics of making music.
- Medieval Names Archive — just what it says on the tin.
- Easy 6502, a mini-ebook teaching the basics of assembly language with a friendly dialect.
- Game Accessibility Guidelines — a list of ways to make games playable for people with disabilities.
- Learning Modern 3D Graphics Programming — free online book recommended by John Carmack.
- A Trip Through the Graphics Pipeline: a 13-article series by one of the authors of .kkrieger; the entire blog is recommended for those interested in 3D graphics.
- RPG Design Patterns, a book on what goes into the creation of tabletop role-playing games.
- Think Labyrinth! is hands-down the Web’s best resource on the history, philosophy and creation of mazes, including computer algorithms and software.
- Getting Started With HTML5 Game Development, a collection of various useful resources from Mozilla Hacks.
- DIY Digital Games Resource List (Arisia 2015)
- You Can Make Video Games
- Personal Games Resource List and Mental Health in Games Resource List.
- Big list of gamedev resources and big list of CYOA authoring resources.
- The official resource list of the js13kGames competition.